by Rebecca Chandler
It’s been 40 years since Motorola’s Dr. Martin Cooper made the first mobile call. I think we can all agree that the mobile experience has changed dramatically since then – especially in real estate.
Real estate professionals are naturally mobile – going from client to client and home to home – heavy cell phone and tablet users. One might even say that some of us are “addicted” to them. Are you? Ask yourself the following questions -
- Do you sleep with your cell phone within arm’s reach?
- Have you ever checked for messages or alerts on your phone – even though it did not ring or vibrate?
- Have you been known to take it into the restroom with you?
Even if you do, you are not alone. According to a recent study by the Pew Research Center,
- 67% of cell phone users check their phone for messages, alerts, or calls — even when they don’t notice it ringing or vibrating.
- 18% say they do this “frequently.”
- 44% have slept with their phone next to their bed to make sure they didn’t miss calls, text messages, or other updates.
- 29% describe their cell phone as “something they can’t imagine living without.”
- According to another study conducted by 11mark, 75% of cell phones users have talked, texted or surfed the web, while . . . in the bathroom.
And, our reliance on our mobile devices continues to increase. According to the Media Behavior Institute, 25% of Internet users are mobile only – meaning, they do not access the internet for browsing from any other device.
This means, of course, that our clients are no different. They not only use their phones to speak with each other, but they text and surf the web from their phones increasingly.
That’s why it is absolutely, positively, vital that your marketing strategy is mobile enhanced.
Have you looked at your website on your phone or tablet? As a consumer, would you be able to experience the site from your phone?
And, if you do have a mobile site, how do consumers find it? Are you proactively, putting it in front of them or are you waiting for them to somehow stumble upon it?
To demonstrate – from the pages of our printed Real Estate Book magazines, we average over 37,000 text messages per month. Consumers pick up the magazine, see a property they like, and text a code for photos and more information. Their number is immediately sent to the listing agent for that property. Seasonally adjusted, we are on track to produce around a half a million text leads for our advertisers via text leads from the printed magazine. Consumers also download our apps, or go on our mobile site to search for more property mostly because we advertise them in 5 million magazines every month across 300+ markets in the U.S. and Canada.
Bottom line – we created a mobile experience for the consumer to keep them engaged with our advertisers’ listings. Have you?