Recently, I was reminded of a line from the movie, “Beaches” in which a self-absorbed Bette Midler says, “But enough about me, let’s talk about you,……..what do you think about me?” Look through some real estate advertising. Does this line sound familiar? Most do two things -
1. Present listing content.
2. Showboat the agent or broker
Today’s consumers research almost every purchase decision. They rely heavily on user generated reviews. And, they make informed decisions when choosing products and services based on their own specific needs. In other words, they are less interested in hearing about you and much more interested in hearing about what you mean to them.
In this ”other person centered” approach to marketing, what can you do to make sure your efforts are centered on your target audience, and not on you? Take a look at your marketing and put yourself in the consumer’s seat. What DO they think of you?
Then, rework and target your messaging.
Who, specifically, am I trying to reach? First time home buyers? Move ups? Active adults? Investors? What is most important and absolutely “irresistible” to them?
Here are 5 things you can do to begin to connect with your target audience in a meaningful and relevant way.
- Stalk them. Put yourselves in their shoes. Go where they would go – both online and offline. Look for the specific ways they connect.
- Impersonate them. Speak in their language. Look for the things that would be most beneficial, valuable, absolutely irresistible for them. Write them down.
- Go to marketing therapy. Look at your marketing. Does your website appeal to your target audience? Impersonate your target audience and test their list of “irresistibles” against it. Are you connecting?
- Do a makeover. And, by the way, it’s not about you. The most prominent message in your marketing should be absolutely irresistible to your target audience. Chances are, that’s not your “#1 in Metropolis” status. It’s around the meaningful conversations you have with them – when you connect with them one-on-one.
- Go full throttle. Once you’ve created your irresistible messages, PUSH your message in every media outlet and device that they use – your social network, websites, mobile sites, print advertising like ads, flyers, brochures, direct mail, events, display. Talk to the right marketing professional like a Real Estate Book representative to help you get your message out effectively – and affordably. Keep in mind that good advertising should never cost you money. It should always make you money. Track all your advertising for results and conversion to business.
By focusing on the needs of your prospective clients, your marketing will become more effective. After all -
“You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.”
- Dale Carnegie